The engine is Xapian-Omega, chosen because:
- it runs under OpenBSD, the operating system that hosts arts & ego;
- it’s written in C++, and thus capable of being efficient;
- it was pretty easy to put in place;
- it requires no scripting, so preserves arts & ego’s static site ethos.
Having said that, there are issues to address:
- it’s not obvious that hits on photo pages are just that;
- I’ve yet to work out how to dig information out of JPGs, MP3s, etc.;
- I had to write some wrappers to reduce the risk of cgi-bin parameter abuse; these may need further work.